Monday, February 7, 2011

Episode 3: Hollywood vs Parenthood

Let me preface this post by saying that I hope that I don't come off as judgmental. I simply want to chime in with my perspective.

So this morning while getting ready to head to the studio for the day, I was listening to a story on the Today Show about Lindsay Lohan's latest troubles. People seem to revel in her misery but whenever I hear anything about her, I always think about the little girl in The Parent Trap and wonder, what happened? Most people are quick to say that it is the Hollywood curse of child actors. The "industry" is not made for children and they will all end up damaged in some way. This is interesting because from the outside looking in, it seems to be this way. But recently, I have had the opportunity to have this very discussion with two very popular former child actors. At the height of their careers, they were among the most popular in Hollywood. What they both said, at different times mind you, challenges the general consensus.

The first, who has had highly publicized run ins with law enforcement that included stints in jail, said that his problems had nothing to do with Hollywood. He said that his family life was out of order before he even got into acting. "In fact, I would go so far as to say that Hollywood probably saved me from self destructing sooner because it gave me a focus and a sense of stability that I never felt at home." He said that there has always been a misconception, in his opinion, about his troubles and how they related to his success as an actor.

The second didn't have the same issues. He credits his parents for providing a stable environment at home that allowed him to grow up as normal as one in the public eye could. He said that his father was on set with him every day, allowing him to grow, while setting and enforcing boundaries that all children need. "There's nothing in Hollywood that a kid can get that he or she can't get anywhere else. It's all about the foundation that you come from. If it's solid, you'll be alright."

So where does this leave us with Lindsay Lohan? As a parent, it pains me to see someone's child go through what she's going through. While at some point, we all have to take responsibility for our actions and choices, aren't the choices we make rooted in the foundation from which we come? If it seems like I'm judging the Lohan's, I'm not. I simply want to explore this issue at its core in the hopes that I can guide my child in the right direction. Stay tuned…

No comments:

Post a Comment